This module covers the basics of identification of toxic substances through targeted history, physical exam, and diagnostic studies. It introduces common therapies for ingestions, including methods used to minimize drug absorption and enhance excretion for common poisons. This module also reviews effects of commonly misused or abused drugs. Additionally, it includes a section describing treatments for caustic eye injuries that children may encounter.
Module Learning Objectives:
After successfully completing this module, students should be able to
- Recognize the importance of identifying ingestion, providing first aid, and contacting Poison Control
- Identify methods used to minimize drug absorption
- Describe the specific therapies, including antidotes, for common poisons
- Summarize effects of drug abuse and misuse
- Describe different routes of exposure (e.g., eye, cutaneous)
- Summarize the effects and management of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning
- Features engaging, True Adaptive™ learning
- Responsive design ensures compatibility on mobile devices and tablets
- Students can select their level of competence as they begin the course and can change their selection at any time during the course
- All curriculum is web-accessible through inclusive design (WCAG 2.1 AA)
- Ease of use for more students – works on all common browsers (no more Flash)
Compatible Devices/Operating System:
- Web Browsers: Latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari
- Operating Systems and Computing Hardware: Win8+ with 4GB+ RAM, MacOS 10.13+ with 4GB+ RAM, Android 8+ with 2GB+ RAM, iOS 11+ with 2GB+ RAM
- Internet Connection: Broadband – Fiber, wireless, DSL, cable modem
- While the system will run in smaller screen sizes, these are the recommended minimum sizes for the best experience: 4″ (mobile) or higher
Access codes will be emailed within 24 hours when orders are placed between 7:30am–5:30pm Central Time Monday–Friday. If order is placed on Friday after 5pm Central Time, code will be emailed Monday morning.
For FAQs, technical specifications, and more information on digital products, please see our AHA Information page.
This version is not compliant with the data privacy regulations under the (EU) European Union and should not be purchased for use in: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia (Czech Republic), Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City
eProducts cannot be returned once redeemed/activated.